Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Foiled again

As a result of our fight on Sunday evening, one action point became dinner out for me and my friend Sally last night. I was psyched about it all day. And in true Weight Watcher's form, I even planned my meals around the treat out. We arranged to meet up at the Greene (an outdoor shopping "towne" where there are lots of choices.) We also chose the wise hour of 6pm where we could prepare dinner, yet not have to endure its wrath.

After a quick purchase at Stride Rite (thanks, Bebe!) we landed on Bar Louie's. They have the yummiest Sechuan boneless wings. And in an attempt to throw all caution to the wind, I switched over to the grilled veggie wrap at the last minute, my first mistake.

I assure you, all of these lame details are necessary. or not. Sally and I enjoyed over an hour of enjoyable, fun and best of all, uninterrupted conversation. So refreshing for my soul. And then, IT happened.

We were gearing up to pay our bills and all of a sudden- out of NOWHERE- I started feeling not right. A short 3 minutes later, as we were heading out the door of the restaurant, I told Sally that all of a sudden I was feeling nauseous. Our plan was to walk it off and let the fresh air do me some good. By the time we had walked about another 50 yards I decided to sit on the sidewalk for a moment (real classy.) It was then I realized, I was going to need a bathroom. We took a quick inventory and It was about a 5 minute walk to the nearest one. She grabbed my bags and I concentrated on making it there.

Sweet Sally held my stuff while I made a bee-line for the nearest stall, praying the whole time that there weren't 10 people already in there. Luckily there was one lady with her daughter who was changing her clothes from a jaunt in the fountain (I must not have been THAT sick because I did have enough energy to through a judgemental thought her way... geez... it was a high of about 70, I would NEVER let my kid run through the fountain on a day like...) and then BARF.

Oh, my. I'm pretty sure even in my college heyday I did not barf in a public toilet. Gag. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Let me just say, I won't be having a veggie wrap OR feta cheese for a long long time. I'm not sure there is a good food to get sick on, but FOR SURE feta cheese is at the top of the list.

I made it back out to Sally where we sat on a bench for another good long while (with only one more trip back to the toilet) before I decided to get in the car and make a run for it. It was the weirdest thing... I barfed until about midnight, never got the chills, the aches or a headache. I had a rather good night sleep and woke up ready to go today. Go figure!

Steve's pretty sure the moral of that story is, never leave him with the kids alone in the evening to play with friends again. And they lived happily ever after. The end.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Leave it to the man to make the moral work in his favor! Ugh, what an awful end to a fun night out.

Anonymous said...

I just have to say that I love reading your blog, E. Always something interesting... :)