Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I am SO not Ma Ingalls

As I laid in my bed at 1 am Monday morning, I had visions of Ma Ingalls as she contemplated putting a knife in the fire, downing a bottle of alcohol and finally cutting out the infection in her leg. As a 10 year old girl that was one of my all time favorite episodes of Little House on the Prarie (sick and twisted, I know!)

About 2 am I could take it no longer. The pain in my infected finger left me no other option than to hop in my car (alone) and check myself into the ER. I'm not gonna lie, it was a little scary! I had several scenarios worked up in my mind (one may have included amputation) as my children and husband slept soundly in their beds.

One cool consolation, TNT was playing Crimson Tide, an awesome movie I haven't seen in years. And since everyone knows the wait at the ER waiting room is an eternity (especially when you have a sceptic finger that is moment by moment leaking infection straight to your brain...) a nice movie distraction is a bit of a treat.

Turns out I had an "ingrown fingernail" that needed to be drained. Gag. So they gave me two shots of Novocaine (Steve insists it's not Novocaine when it's not for your teeth) into my finger- definitely the worst part- and after another 1/2 hour of waiting and making sure my finger was numb, the physicians assistant (who by the way was SO not George Cloony!) cut away a bunch of skin and nail and got rid of the puss. So while it wasn't an epidural, it was just as effective. Oh how I love American medical care.

The guy that did it asked if I wanted to see all the puss run out of my finger. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? When I was pushing Turner out, the nurse asked me if I wanted to put my hand down there and feel his head-- WHILE HE WAS STILL INSIDE MY BODY. What is with medical people? They are seriously twisted. I'll touch my baby boy when he is good and cleaned up, thank you very much. And as for puss oozing from my finger, I'd rather you knock me over the head with a mallet and bring me back when it's all over!

So I'm now on antibiotics, Vicadin and soaking it in salt water several times a day. Just like Ma Ingalls' outcome, I'm sure. This photo does not do it justice, but I suppose it's just as well. When I first took the band aid off and saw it yesterday I got light headed and nauseous. I'm pretty sure I'm going to make it. And if nothing else, it got me out of an entire day of changing poopy diapers. Not a bad bonus indeed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey there - I have been "following" your blog for a couple of months now...you are such a funny person. I had to tell you that I too had a doctor ask me if I wanted to feel Bella when her head was out & her body was still inside of me. According to Eric I gave the doc a look of horror & in my most polite voice said, "No thanks, I'm good." Just not my thing. Even thinking about it now gives me chills. :)

Tina Trevino

Mommin' It Up! said...

Love the silver lining at the end there, as I can smell Sophie from where I am sitting and a poopy diaper change is in my immediate future! Glad you got it taken care of! Oh and I loved that episode of Little House too!

Gina said...

OMG, I TOTALLY HAD THAT EXACT SAME THING A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO AND A WORLDLINK DOCTOR TALKED ME THROUGH HOW TO LACERATE IT ON GMAIL CHAT!!! IT WORKED!! GRANT DID IT FOR ME. AMAZING HUH. ANYWAY, YAH, THAT BUGGER HURT!!