Saturday, March 28, 2009

no pain,no gain- NO WAY!

I am the biggest wimp I've ever known. I don't do well with pain. I've spent 36 years trying to avoid it. Many friends around me intended to or did go the "natural" childbirth route, meaning no medication. I would have had an epidural starting around month 7, if they had let me!

I tend to *over-react* just a bit to minor bumps and bruises throughout my day. Which usually leaves O yelling, "What happened, Mama?" I usually have to quickly reply back, "Oh, nothing, Turner lightly touched my hand." Or "I dropped a roll of paper towels on my foot." Stuff like that. (side note, you reap what you sow! O now *occasionally* over-reacts.)

But in the middle of the night, last night, I woke up with a throbbing middle finger on my right hand. It was bothering me so much I had to get up at 2:24 and take 2 extra strength Tylenol to get back to sleep. When I woke up, the tip and all around my finger nail had become red, inflamed, throbbing and swollen. It's even a bit hot to the touch.

I have been trying to ignore it all day. But to be honest- I'm totally consumed by the pain in my finger. Even typing this is brutal. We went to the grocery store and I asked Steve to go along so that he could pick up the heavy stuff and put the bags in the car. It is that sensitive. I never realized how much I use my middle finger (Oh, come on now... It's been WEEKS since I've done that! just kidding. wanting to doesn't count.) But seriously, Turner sat on my finger when I was getting him in the car seat and I nearly went through the roof.

Not only am I a wimp, I'm also a hypochondriac (thanks, mom!) I'm so afraid I've got some raging infection in my finger and that I'm going to go to bed tonight and it's going to seep into my blood stream and kill me. Can that happen? Does anyone know? But I'm more afraid to show up at my dr's office - or worse yet- the ER for a sore finger. I have no idea what happened, I suspect a hang nail that I pulled yesterday, but I'm not certain. All I know is, I'd take an epidural for this one right about now, if they'd let me!

3 comments:

Mommin' It Up! said...

One of my blog friends took her daughter to the doc last week for an infected finger & they gave her antibiotics. Not to freak you out! But if it's not better Monday maybe you should call the doc!

jenny said...

Try putting some antibiotic cream (like Neosporin) on a bandaid and then put it on the sore spot. I find this helps when I've had a throbbing hangnail area. I have had done it overnight and by morning it feels a ton better. But, I agree, if that doesn't work you might want to see the doc. Hope you feel better soon.

Unknown said...

You could cut the finger off :)