Thursday, March 31, 2011

Peace

I just couldn't wait to share my news. Today was my post round two Dr. appointment. And at about 4 pm yesterday the fear and panic set in. Which was really a bummer because I had been doing great with my mind all week. Not to mention I felt great physically. Then at 4 I realized I had not received at phone call like I did last round. They called me with my good numbers last time. And when they didn't this time I IMMEDIATELY went to crazy places in my mind. Crazy as in, "I'm pretty sure there is bad news and they want the doctor to deliver it himself, in person." And then it started, I could feel the tumors in my lungs that they surely found in the CT scan last Friday (even though only hours before I found myself thinking, "Gosh, I feel cancer-free!") I was so fearful last night I could barely enjoy American Idol. So I was a bit of a mess this morning when I was at the Y on the treadmill. Thankfully I ran into two different friends whom I was able to vent to. Steve was able to come with me to the appointment. Thankfully. I also had to get labs drawn. The lady who took my blood commented on my shaking hands. I had to tell her no offense but pretty much that office does that too me. (That and the fact that I just knew I was about to be told things were not looking good.) The nurse took my blood pressure and it was a *wee bit* high. Finally, the nurse went through all the routine questions and then she told me that my number that was at 55 last time was down to 24 this time. WAIT A MINUTE! That sounds like GOOD news. Yep, CT scan came back good too. So by the time the Dr. came in Steve and I were pretty relieved. We had a bunch of questions but here is the nutshell of what we found out: That number that is now down to 24 has to be at 35 or below to be considered NORMAL. Hey, guess what? I'm NORMAL. Yippee. He also said that when the numbers hit normal or below before the third round they find the best chances for cure. God has allowed my body to respond incredibly well. Thank you, Lord! They also think that my numbers may hit below 5 after this next round. So, as long as my numbers stay below 35 and my CT scans are clear... at the end of the six rounds- and boo, I do need to finish the rest of my rounds- I will be considered in remission. And remission over time is what turns into cured. (5 years) There are still many prayer requests... like that my body will hold up during the next 4 rounds of chemo and that my numbers will stay down and my scans stay clear... forever... and that I would put on some weight and that my mind would stop jumping to crazy conclusions, but for today I'm going to THANK JESUS. I'm still not looking forward to Monday where we do this thing again, but at least now I can say, "Ok, Monday, let's get this thing over with!" Thanks for your prayers. Keep 'em coming. But I really am thankful to share good news with you faithful friends.

10 comments:

victoria said...

I have no words for how happy I am right now!! I thought of you all day I am going to post this news on my Phi list!!

jenny from mommin' it up said...

SO thrilled, E!! Did you tell them to please remember to call you next time? :) Love you! God is good.

Anonymous said...

So happy for you and giving God all the praise! Praying this news gives you the stamina to go through Monday and Tuesday.

Carrie

Lisa said...

YAY!!!! This is awesome news, E! How exciting. You must have just been so floored. I'm glad you're finishing your other 4 rounds though. That just seems "safer" to me to make sure they kill all those little alien buggers once and for all. I love you and am SO thrilled for you!

Unknown said...

oh, SO excited to hear this amazing news!!! I'm so happy and thanking God for his grace to you... grace to go through today. And his gift of these good numbers!

hello. said...

I have never commented before. But I had to because I am so happy that you received good news!

Joyce said...

I'm glad you're normal : ) I will contnue to keep you in my prayers as you finish out your treatment.

Julie said...

that is just fantastic. God is so good!

Stacie@HobbitDoor said...

Praising God for you!!!
I must admit we had a horrible gastroenteritis this week. I kept thinking "E would blog this but I will not." Then I spent some time praying for you, it got me through my yuckiness. Will be praying for you as you go through yours next week.

The Halters said...

this is fantastic news! we are so happy and thankful. your vulnerable blog is so courageous and encouraging. you see, whether it's cancer or another life altering situation or mind set, it's a battle many of us are in. your honesty and steps of faith can be applied by all of us. love and peace be yours. :)