Friday, January 14, 2011

Thank God almighty, I'm free at last!

If you've noticed I've been a bit *spotty* on my posts this week, you'll quickly understand and forgive me when you find out the reason. Beginning on Sunday, I started Operation Turner on the Toilet. I gave effort to that operation back over the summer, but aborted mission soon after I declared myself crazy for trying to potty train two 2 year old boys at the same time. I focused just on Quinn and with amazing success have been dreading the potty tri-fecta.

I have a love/hate relationship with diapers. On the one hand they are stinky and gross and expensive and a pain in the butt to change. But on the other hand, they are just so dang convenient. Like when I'm out and about and 2 of the 3 have to use the potty at annoyingly inconvenient times. While the third just does his business right there in his pants. Or on a road trip. We don't have to stop several different times for a potty break b/c they can't all get their bladders to time up correctly. The kid in the diapers just goes and seemingly ENJOYS sitting for a few hours in his own urine. You know... stuff like that.

But because Turner turned 3 last weekend and its kind of embarrassing to have a 3 year old in diapers AND because he and his brother and his sister are about to start soccer next weekend (and you CAN'T have a kid who is old enough to be on a soccer team still wearing diapers!) I decided this was my week.

So on Sunday, I declared to Turner... "3 year old soccer players don't wear diapers. You will now wear big boy underwear." He willingly put on the underwear. He then also proceeded to tinkle in his pants 4 times that day and poop in them once. The good news? He HATED it.

Monday was much more successful. Everywhere we went, I came equipped with extra pants and underwear. To my surprise, he stayed dry THE WHOLE DAY. He tinkled both times I put him on the toilet. He did have a poop accident... but again, he hated it.

Tuesday he had another great day. I think he solved the poop issue by choosing not to poop the whole day. Well, kid, that's one way to solve it.

And so for the rest of the week, we've made it accident free. He is telling me when he needs to go and he even told the teachers at the Y childcare this morning. Another victory. On Wednesday when he finally pooped in the toilet his first question was, "Can I be a soccer player now, mom?" I guess that really motivated him.

There is just no telling with kids. And there you have it... my third and final kid out of diapers. What WILL I do with all that extra savings on diapers? I can hardly wait to find out.

5 comments:

victoria said...

ANd this is why Gretchen pushed me n that direction...and she does great if I listen and we stay at home! But after buying a case (or 2 or 3) a month of diapers (and mine always had skin issues with any kind other then the expensive Pampers ones) since January of 2004 I am ready for this to be over!!

KTC said...

what will you do with all that savings? Let me count the ways you will spend it.....

soccer team fees/uniforms/shoes
music lessons
dance lessons
ice skates
art supplies and lessons
clothes when the hand-me-downs cease
winter coats
bras/underwear
art supplies
musical intruments
ipods and/or computers x 3
books
tutors
plays
gas money running them all over
sleep away camp
food... any idea how much food teenage boys consume? Check Chris Whitford's status from a few weeks back.
and eventually...
college and
cars
and weddings.
oye.
pampers are looking cheap to me!
But, I'm happy for you and Turner! It is a huge relief when it's over!
Love you!
Karen

Bethany said...

woohoo!!! i have this 2 1/2 year old that needs to be potty trained, but i can't seem to locate her mommy that gives a crap. no pun intended.

Colleen said...

Great success story! Gives me hope for Kirsten. She's following in Lauren's footsteps and won't make many potty attempts. I keep telling her that three year olds wear underwear and if she doesn't desire to do it before her birthday, well come March 20th, it will be a potty party at our house, as it was for Lauren (except on March 22nd)!

jenny from mommin' it up said...

I'm totally letting you train Jonah for me. Because I, for one, do NOT have it in me to train a third kid. My first two were AWFUL to train! IT is not my gift.