Saturday, January 16, 2010

If I were superstitious

For the past 5 January's something radically, drastically B.A.D. has happened to one or(some years) both of my parents. Their health has wavered. Good, bad, normal, dire straights; you name it, they've seen it. If I were superstitious I'd dig a hole on January first and I'd climb in and on February first I might climb back out.

2 years ago, about 8 days after Turner was born I got up from a nap and Steve made me sit down. He delivered news to me that my mom had called and there was an accident. My dad was driving and had a severe heart attack and totalled his car. He had to be life flighted from one hospital to another. Our family hopped in the car and ended up living in a "hotel" at the hospital for nearly a week (with less than a two week old baby.) I still hadn't fully recovered myself, if yaknowwhatimean! My dad was in ICU for 10 days and dontcha' know made a full recovery. God has been incredibly faithful over the years.

My faith has wavered. Not in God and not in His healing power or even in His sovereign plan (if my dad had left us that time God STILL would have been good). My faith has wavered more in my belief that I have not truly believed it is better to be in the presence of God than here on Earth. Don't get me wrong, I love life, I love my family and I love being here... but I think in the last few months God has been growing me to believe that it really, truly will be better than ANYTHING to be with Him.

All that said, it is in fact, January! True to the calender, my dad was admitted into the hospital with pneumonia yesterday. Without getting into all the gory details, he's been sick for over 3 months and is a stubborn old fart. I've been encouraging him to go to the emergency room for over a month. All on his terms!

Thankfully we already had a trip scheduled to visit this weekend anyway (no school on Monday means a bit of freedom in our schedule.) Here's praying that they can get the source of the infection treated and that there is nothing more serious going on (my dad smoked 3 packs a day for about 50 years... he quit about 15 years ago... but its always in the back of my mind.)

I'm thankful that God sits on His throne today. Regardless of the outcome of my January's for the rest of my life, I can rest in the fact that God loves me. Nothing surprises Him. I find peace in that. Here's hoping that I didn't jinx anything (jk! 'cuz I'm NOT superstitious.)

*****Oh, and an update on Olivia's Haitian Hurricane giving. $.69 was graciously given up by my sweet 3 year old. (I have to say, I was hoping for a better showing from the piggy bank, but you don't want to crush a good thing.) Looks like we're going to have to help a girl out a bit by adding a bit of our own.

No comments: