Monday, April 26, 2010

I live it... yet I paid to see it.

The circus that is. The Shriner's Circus came to town and a bunch of our co-workers and the 5 of us went to see it. It's been years (like nearly 30) since I've been to the circus. When I was 7 or 8 I was actually IN the Ringling Bros. & Barnum Bailey Circus. They picked a handful of kids to ride on a *float* and although I spent most of my childhood hiding behind my mother's skirt, somehow I managed to dig deep and get the guts to do it. It's one of those lingering childhood memories that *sometimes* comes up in those ice breaker kind of games where people have to guess which one you did. "I was in the circus when I was 7." That and "I've never broken a bone." Fascinating, I know.

Well, let's just say that the Shriner's Circus is Ringling's ugly little stepsister. (Bless it's heart.)
Now I'm no Animal Rights activist, but let's just say I felt a little *dirty* after watching the Siberian Tiger act.

Olivia's friend, Ava, seems in utter amazement. Olivia, notsomuch. Those hands on the hips tells it all. And SURELY she didn't get that pose from me!
As for the boys, they mostly spent the show riveted. Quinn clapped and danced at all of the appropriate places. There was even a short dog act that was performed to several Madonna songs and he did an interesting interpretive dance to Vogue (which seemed all too appropriate after this week's episode of Glee. Pleeease tell me you saw it!)
Turner? He spent a large part of our time at the circus asking for glow in the dark toys that they try and convince today's youth they need.
Funny, I'm pretty sure they were selling those toys 30 years ago.

And when they weren't pushing glow in the dark weapons of death, they were pushing Spidermen on a stick. My poor, deprived children went home with out riding an elephant, or anything that glows in the dark or dangles from a stick.
But they did get to see some high jumping dogs, some pathetically caged animals and some oooollllldddd clowns.
Now, that's privilege at its finest, if you ask me!
PS. YES, that is a Mommytime Design dress that O has on in the previous post. Our dear friend, and my hair stylist, Aimee, bought that for her. Isn't that the cutest dress ever?! Too bad she didn't get to wear THAT in the fashion show!

No comments: