Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Utterly overwhelmed

I should be cleaning my house and writing about 15 thank you notes to friends and family for gifts given for Quinn's birthday. I'm about a week behind in blogging. Olivia is home this week for "fall intersession" (a fancy word for fall break.) Why a 3 year old needs a 7 day break from school is beyond me. It's probably the teachers who need the break. I realize I'm very comfortable with the school schedule and the space it provides for me. Taking 2 anywhere is way easier than taking all three. But I digress...

And on top of everything, my mom has been sick and in the hospital and is now in a nursing home temporarily for some physical therapy to regain her strength. We went up there for a weekend visit. I didn't know how all three of the kids would do, shuttling back and forth between my mom and dad's house and visiting her. Why is it kids will ALWAYS amaze you? When you expect them to behave, 9 times out of 10 they won't and when you expect complete disaster, they turn out to be the perfect angels you always suspected they were.

My three kids were the absolute delight of about 15 ladies that live on the same hall as my mother (oh, AND for my mother as well!) They waved, they smiled, they gave out high-fives like they were the most out going kids on the planet. They barely fought, they only were loud *a little bit* and they loved their BeBe well.

Instead of being spoiled by just my mom and dad, they had little old ladies passing them treats left and right. In fact my kids left with Rice Krispie Treats, cup cakes, Fig Newtons, snack cakes, pop corn and even a stuffed dog. Frankly, it was a bit embarrassing. And on top of it all, I think it was fun for my mom to show off her "kids." Talk about embarrassing! It was a virtual whose who of grand kids around there! So cute.

But now I'm paying the price of being gone for the weekend and for having an extra kid around all day for the week. Lots to do with little margin to do it. But that's okay. CLEARLY my priorities are in check since I'm here using my precious few minutes of nap time to blog and whine. Hey, whatever keeps you sane, right? Wish me luck, I'm off to make a dent in this thing called my life.

No comments: