Monday, October 5, 2009

Confessions of a judgemental pig

Back in the day I thought migraines were made up by people who just wanted to go to a dark quiet place and take a nap. I mean, I'd had headaches, lots of them. But none so bad that I couldn't press on, do what needed to be done, pop a couple Tylenol and move on. Naps are for wimps. (I *might* also have similar thoughts of PMS. Kick the dog - or worse- and blame it on hormones. Brilliant!)

But then in the Spring of 1998 I was living in New York City. I worked at NYU and had an apartment about 25 blocks away. I was meeting with a student when all of a sudden my peripheral vision started to go. Then the right side of my face got a little numb. I excused myself and high tailed it to my apartment (about a 20-25 minute walk if I didn't pop in any shops on my way home.) By the time I got home I could barely put any thoughts together. I called a good friend of mine and was freaking out. I told him what was happening and asked him to call me back in a half hour. Honestly, I thought I was having a stroke. At 26?

And then it hit. The headache from hell. Every noise was like a drill going through my skull. The light was killing me. By the time he called me back, my vision was intact, the numbness had subsided and I could once again form a complete sentence but it was hours before the headache went away.

Over the past 11 years I've probably had a dozen, no more than 2 dozen migraines. And this is my public apology to all others whom suffer and I have previously judged. They SUCK, with a capital SUCK.

I bring this up because I was with the kids all day yesterday and had invited some of my students over just to hang out, bake cookies and have dinner while Steve was at a work meeting. Then at about 4:30 I noticed that part of my friend, Lauren's face was missing when I looked at her. (This was a small indication that a migraine might be coming on or that Lauren was actually an alien with the ability to remove part of her face, which was the option I was actually hoping for!) I took a few Excedrin Migraine tablets. I'm not totally sure they did anything, but they probably helped in some fashion. Lauren was a Godsend. I'm not sure how I would have watched all three kids with one of those. Thankfully, Steve wasn't too far away and was able to come home in time to put the kids to bed. I HATE being an invalid and unable to even take care of my own kids. But seriously, that's how bad it was.

I went to bed at 7:30pm and woke up at 6:30 the next morning. Now, that'll put a damper on your weekend. I just hate how a migraine can totally wreck a day. So, don't judge me if I need to go escape to a quiet dark room and sleep. I'm either suffering from a migraine or am the mother of three, 3 and under. YOU be the judge!

3 comments:

jenny said...

Oh, I feel for you. I have gotten migraines since the end of high school. Thankfully I have a prescription medication that usually kicks them out if I take a pill and drink a cup of coffee. But, they are miserable. And you're right, it is almost impossible to take care of the kids when they come on. Glad you are feeling better.

jenny from mommin' it up! said...

Ugh, they are terrible! I feel ya! I get the vision interruptions too. It's a scary feeling no matter how "used" to it you are!

The Hardy's said...

hey e...miss you! bummer about the migraine! i had them in college and they totally put me out! have been sick the whole time here....it's what ava had, a viral thing! bummer...not meds for me...at least prescribed by the doc:) can't wait to catch up! hope quinn's party is FUN!!