Sunday, July 11, 2010

Anyone have a hammer I can borrow?

Because that's what I'm bringin' 'round here! A hammer. The kids who live with me, yep, they're totally out of control. I realize I've brought most of it on myself. With my mom's situation and all; let's just say discipline hasn't been the #1 most important thing lately. And boy, aren't kids smart? They sure can smell an opportunity when it's upon them. Manipulator's R Us. That's what this house should be called.

So, in an attempt to get things under control, I have armed myself with several books. First thing first, I got myself a copy of The 5 Love Languages for Kids. I'll get to that one of these days. Second, I did a bit of a re-skim of Boundaries with Kids (one of my personal favs)... but need to give myself a *pep talk* from it every once in a while. Third and perhaps most importantly, a book that I'm quite sure God led me to *accidentally.* It's called "Have a New Kid by Friday by Dr. Kevin Leman. What can I say? It was $5 at the check out at the book store and I was all, "Heck yeah, I 'd like a new kid by Friday." So, I bought it.

Oh. My. Word! It's just what the doctor ordered.

I can't put it down. I just keep shaking my head in agreement with all the stuff that he's saying. And it's really do-able stuff. The problem is: I can't read it fast enough. Not to mention, I've got to get Steve to read it so that we are on the same page- discipline wise (I'm sure no one else EVER has that problem.) But so far, I like what I've read.

Here's the thing... this parenting thing, it's hard work! I realize I can't just read a book and poof my three kids step in line. I need to be consistent. Loving. Encouraging. Firm. And most importantly, forgiving of them and myself. That, my friends, is hard work.

Well, I'm off to read a few more pages before nap time is over. Here's hoping that Friday comes quickly, 'cuz I need me some new kids.

3 comments:

Cortney @ evanhaslanded.com said...

Have a New Kid By Friday is excellent!! I applied just a few principles - such as saying something only once than leaving the room - and the boys responded really well!
Love Dr. Lehman!!
Good luck!

Colleen said...

I think I could use some new kids, too! I'll have to read that book. Thanks for the tip! And good luck to you!

jenny from mommin' it up said...

I LOVE that book! Cortney and I head Leman speak at Hearts at Home last year. I have loaned it to a friend but I need it back cause I can't remember everything anymore! But it really helped me get through Joshua's bad behavior when he was adjusting to kindergarten last fall. He would come home and be a DEMON. That book helped me figure out how to get him in line.