Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Insomnia

This past week I've had a lot on my mind and have found myself up during the wee hours of the night (or is it morning?) The other night I was up from 3 am-5:30 am. Funny things happen in your mind at that hour. I laid there for a long time thinking, "Okay... if I close my eyes and fall asleep NOW, I will get three and a half hours of sleep. Ready, go!" Then, nothing. Okay, try it again. Now it will be 3 hours and fifteen minutes. That's still a lot, right?! After nearly 45 minutes of a dialogue like that in my mind, I started contemplating getting up, going downstairs and writing this blog.

But that would mean a commitment to being awake. It would mean I *really* wouldn't get that three + hours (which was quickly drawing close to becoming two + hours of more sleep.) But I'll tell you what, this post was TONS more interesting in my mind (and lots funnier) at 4 am than it is now. I was also worried if I went downstairs I would grab a snack (which is TOTALLY against all things Weight Watchers) and then it would become a habit and then I'd be 400 lbs. in no time.

I was solving all the world problems from my pillow at about 4:15am. My mom is in the throws of some severe health issues. I took some valuable time to pray and ask God for wisdom and intervention. I also tried to figure out all the angles of what could be done on her behalf.

Which brought me to about 4:45. At which point a really important question popped into my mind. (I kid you not, this is seriously the question I pondered for a while):

What ever happened to that candy, SPREES? Do you remember them? I really liked them because there were like 200 in a roll and that roll seemed to last forever. Probably because they were so sour that I could only eat several in the span of an hour. Funny, as I laid there and even now as I type this, my mouth started to water just thinking about how sour they were. But then as I thought of them it dawned on me... I don't think I've seen them in years. But then again, I'm not sure I've thoroughly inspected the candy aisle in a long time. That in turn made me think of another old candy bar called a Marathon bar. Remember that one? As I remember, it was basically caramel covered in chocolate in kind of a long braid shape. I *think* it came in a red wrapper. (Is it normal for people to lay awake at night, thinking of candy they miss? Thus... Weight Watchers!)

Somewhere around 5:15-5:30, I must have drifted off to sleep. I was rudely awakened at 6:30 by my alarm. Tired. I still don't have answers to my candy questions, but the next time I can't sleep I *might* Google and get some answers. But probably not.

2 comments:

betseykerr said...

Your theory on Sprees is true...I HAVE loked for them, only to be dissapointed by finding 'Chewy Sprees'. Which are HARD and a questionable 'cousin' to the original Sprees. I found a rare roll a few years back, but nothing but chewy weird thing since then. Good Luck! Let me know if you find any...
Hope your Mom's health improves soon...

jenny from mommin' it up said...

Oh my word I LOVE SPREE. I love the chewy version even more. And I know where you can get them but I will only tell if you want me to!