Friday, November 6, 2009

So many people, so little time

So, last night Steve and I were watching Grey's Anatomy. Well, I was watching and Steve was goofing around on the computer making it VERY hard for me to hear all of the smart dialogue coming at me from my idiot box! hrmph. men.

Anyhow... I have a love/hate relationship with the show. I think that the drama, the characters and the human dynamics are very well captured. I could just do without all of the affairs and what not. But last night had a story line that had me bawling like a little baby. Now that I'm a mom, I just can't take anything that has to do with kids dying. Ugh.

While we were at Children's this week, Steve and I ate a lunch in the cafeteria while Quinn was in the OR. I had to laugh because as I looked around I was wondering what all of the dramas around me were that were unfolding. I also wondered why not everyone was as stunning good looking and sexy as Grey's. We even had a short conversation about it. I found myself thinking, "I wouldn't mind working in a place like this." Mostly because my lunch was delicious and I had a sugar cookie that was to die for. But also because of the human drama. I. love. human. drama.

When I lived in NYC, my favorite thing to do on a Saturday was to walk the City. Just walk. And watch. MMmmm.... I'd love to be there doing that, right now. After several miles of walking, I'd pull up a park bench somewhere and watch some more.

I had an artist friend in NYC who told me once that she saw the world through shapes and colors. Photographers see the world through lenses, frames and photographs. Some see the world through numbers. I spent a long time frustrated... not knowing how I see the world. And then it dawned on me, I see the world through people. Their lives, their style, their beliefs, their drama. I love people and am deeply intrigued with them. I think I see the nature and character of God better when I observe those created in His image. The good the bad and the ugly.

So as we sat in that cafeteria, I realized it was a hot bed for what I love. Small problem, I have a full time job (its called motherhood, people.) Bigger problem, I hate anything medical. I might make a really great receptionist or cashier there, though.

In the meantime, I'll just keep observing, enjoying and worshipping as a result of all that I observe.

1 comment:

eva said...

i LOVE grey's anatomy! :) for the drama as well. i see the world through stories, and i am constantly fascinated by the stories that each person carries around with them daily.