Sunday, May 27, 2012

Kicking off summer

It's Memorial Day weekend.  One of my favorite holidays.  It's extra great this year because the weather is outstanding.  It's been in the 90's.  For me that is better than the 60's and raining, like it is most Memorial Day weekends around here.  Our outdoor pool opened the other day and we went today.  It was perfect.  Last year I was the bald lady walking around the pool.  This year I'm a normal lady walking around the pool.  I like normal much better.

Tuesday is my very last chemo treatment.  I might skip the whole way there.  It feels really good to have one more.  That will be round # 22.  Twenty two rounds of chemo.  That's A LOT.  To say it feels really good to have one more is an understatement.  Thank you, Jesus!

The boys had their last day of school on Thursday.  Olivia has one more week.  Last week was the week of crazy with award ceremonies, thank you gifts, a spring concert and a cultural fair at the kids' school.  This mama is ready for summer vacation! 

Two years ago this weekend my mom went into Hospice.  It taints the weekend a bit for me, but I'm thankful that we are able to make new memories.  We bought Olivia a new outfit for her award ceremony at school because "if Bebe were here she would have."  I really want to keep my mom's memory alive.  It was a struggle of a week because there were tons of things I wanted her to be a part of.  Stories I wanted to share.  Things she would have had a million questions about.  One real blessing was that my Aunt, her sister, was driving through town and got to be a part of several of those events.  It truly was the next best thing to having my mom here.  Some days I think the grief is getting better and then I have weeks like last week where I literally want to pick up the phone and talk to my parents. 

I'm thankful to be able to have such a fun weekend even in the midst of hard.  I guess that is what I'm learning life is about.

No comments: