Friday, August 30, 2013

The re-invention of me

I started this blog just about 5 years ago.  Weird.  We had just started the adoption process for Quinn, Turner was a baby, Olivia wasn't in school yet.  My parents' health wasn't great but both were stable. I worked on campus at the University of Dayton in a most part-time yet fulfilling way. 

A few short years, LIFE happened.  The storm came out of nowhere.  It engulfed my life.  It nearly overwhelmed me.  One blow after another after another.  Relentless.  Consuming.  It chewed me up and spit me out. 

Life changes; sometime in an instant, sometimes gradually, sometimes both at the same time.

Today, Quinn has been home for 4 years, all three of my kids are in school for 8 hours a day.  My parents (whom inspired me to start the blog) are gone.  I volunteer at the kids' school 8 hours a week and am on the PTA officer team.  I am on the verge of finding my place within ministering outside of my home once again with our employing organization, Athletes in Action. 

My kids on the soccer team, involved in gymnastics, about to start theatre class and stalling to do their home work. 

I feel as though I am entering a new stage of life.  A stage where my kids begin to have their own lives.  Their own identities.

My identity seems to be re-shaping once again, as well.  Have I mentioned that I don't care too much for change? However, strangely enough, I do believe I am embracing the new and different.

I am enjoying where life is leading these days.  I am trying to choose carefully where I am headed.  What I say "yes" to, what I say "no" to.  So far these days, my "yeses" are life giving. 

I am in a season where I am trying to focus on all that I have to be grateful for.  It is SO MUCH.  Aside from the obvious: a great family, a home to live in, a head of hair, clean water to drink, another day to live etc.  I have been overwhelmed lately with the EXTRAS that seem to be overflowing.

My port comes out on Sept. 20th (FYI I have continued to live with my chest port that was used to infuse my chemo drugs.  I guess in some ways I've been viewing it as a *lucky rabbits foot*)  It is time to trust God in a tangible way.  A nurse called this a *celebratory* surgery.  She indicated that this is a surgery they don't get to do all that often.  I am grateful.

I am grateful for how the Lord is exciting my heart about life; about making an impact where He has me.  At my kids' school, in our organization, in the lives of friends and neighbors.  It is time to get my eyes off myself and begin to serve again.  Not just serve with my time but with my talents and my heart.  Gratitude brings joy which enables me to ENJOY my life.  I am grateful.

I have much be thankful for.  It's crazy (and probably good) how we have no idea what the future holds.  If I would have known all that would go on 5 years ago when I started up this blog, I may have run away from my life.

But God is good. 
He has carried me.  He IS carrying me. 
I am grateful.

No comments: