Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My hero

Round 5 is officially in the history books. Thank you, Jesus. It was a long, rough one, but guess what? There is only O.N.E. more to go.

Since this cancer ride began in January, there have been many blog posts . Some filled with fear, some filled with thanksgiving, some filled with dread, some filled with amazement. But it has occurred to me that there has been something lacking. And shame on me! So here is a post filled with admiration for my loving husband, with whom I would not have been able to make it through this thing.
When Steve and I got married 8 years ago, I remember telling him that I felt sorry for all the other girls out there because now they didn't have a shot with him. Off the market!
How in the WORLD did I end up with such an amazing man? God's grace, that's how! (And I'm not just sayin' all this 'cuz mama wants a new pair of shoes. It's all true.)
Steve is the BEST dad in the whole world. Patient, kind, attentive, interactive and fun. During our cancer journey, Steve has put his career on the back burner. He's still working, but he has been by my side at EVERY SINGLE CHEMO TREATMENT. I know that many jobs would not allow a husband to do so and that is not a poor reflection on them, it's just that our ministry happens to allow for it and he has chosen to do so. I needed him and he has been there.

He takes me back to the truth of God's Word, time and time again. When I find myself in the pit of despair, he doesn't try to fix me (usually). He listens, he prays and he crys when he needs to.


He has done tons of house work, trips to the park, trips to the grocery, fixing of dinner,loving a bald lady and complimenting me daily, and even cheering me on when I need to *pass gas* (romantic, right?)


Things like cancer could really rock a lot of marriages. We thank God that this has brought us closer and more in love than ever. I know he is tired and weary from the journey. We look forward to things getting back to *normal* (whatever that might be). But I couldn't let another day pass without publicly affirming my amazing husband. I thank God that he gave you to me!


*These amazing pictures were taken by my friends Amber Wing (Ciao Bella Photography) and Shannon Perlow (Locke Innovations) back in February right before chemo treatments began. I have had a hard time posting them until now (but with an end in sight and the hope of having hair once again, I've found it easier.) Both of these women are incredibly talented and we are indebted to them for their generosity of photographing our family!

10 comments:

Julie said...

What a great post! Praise the Lord that He has strengthened your 3 chord strand ad fulfilled the promise that it is not easily torn apart. I am thankful that I get a sideline view to your faith as you travel this journey. You are a woman of true beauty!

Julie said...

and...Yay Steve for being Jesus to your wife. Each time I have brought a meal, you have had a huge smile upon your face that says you are joyfully serving your family. May you be richly blessed as you lead your family toward Christ!

Stacie@HobbitDoor said...

Yay for only one more treatment! Yay for an awesome husband. I have been praying for you both. One of my social workers at work who works with breast cancer patients mentioned to me the importance of support for the husbands and their involvement. That was my springboard to start praying. Praising God for him and continuing to pray for you both.

jenny from mommin' it up said...

Steve is awesome! What a gift. Praise God for him! Your whole fam is a blessing to us. So glad to be a part of your lives.

jenny from mommin' it up said...

Also, I wanted to say that I remember Shannon texting me to ask me to pray that the photo shoot would go great...and I can see that it did. God is so good to us.

The Wellmans said...

Steve is great and he's one lucky guy to have a wife like you. You are such an amazing couple! What a wonderful post E. We're praying as you continue this journey.

Rose said...

What a great testament on the gift of marriage! God put the two of you together, isn't HE amazing! The photos are beautiful and I am so glad you have them. Great job to Steve!

jenny said...

What a beautiful testimony to God's handiwork in not only bringing you two together, but for the many ways Steve has served you through this journey. I agree with Julie, he always has a ready smile and it is obvious he cares about others...even when you all are walking through this hard time. We have been praying for Steve since your diagnosis, in addition to of course praying for you, he has a heavy role as he leads your family. LOVE these pictures. You can just see the love pouring out of all of you. And you are just as pretty now, friend! SO glad you are in the homestretch....only one more treatment!

Helwig said...

What a joy it was to read this! The Lord is making your marriage all the more glorious and holy! Btw, So wonderful to be with you at the park on Thursday. Wow, one more round!

Unknown said...

Oh E! I am so glad ( and understandable not susprised) that God gave you the exact right husband! And what a beautiful family you have. all those years ago when you meet Steve God said Yep my plan is working just as it should! I am always amazed at how up and happy you are when i see you. I can see Jesus' love just beeming from you ( and Steve). I feel so luck to have meet you and your family and to be able to call you all my friends.